Our Animal Emergency Clinic
If your pet is experiencing any symptoms or behaviors that you are concerned about, contact our office without hesitation, as it is always better to err on the side of caution.
The reliable and compassionate team at Ygnacio Animal Hospital offers veterinary care for pets in most emergency situations. Animals are our passion, we take pride in providing quality medical care when your pet needs it most. If we are currently closed, we recommend contacting either SAGE Veterinary Center or VCA Encina Veterinary Medical Center. Both are admirable emergency pet hospitals.
Four Steps for Success During a Pet Emergency
If you're at all suspicious your pet is experiencing an emergency situation, follow the four steps below
If you are experiencing a veterinary emergency, follow the steps below.
- 1) Call Ahead If Possible - During our regular business hours call us right away. After hours, we encourage you to call the nearest of the emergency animal hospitals listed above to let them know you are on the way.
- 2) Follow All Provided Instructions - When you call to let the emergency pet hospital know you are on your way, instructions may be provided to help you apply first aid or otherwise make your pet more comfortable. Follow these instructions dutifully and carefully.
- 3) Remain Calm - Our companion animals can tell when we are stressed out, for their sake as well as your own it is best to always remain as calm as possible. Additionally, be extra careful around your pet. When an animal is in pain they often react negatively towards those who are trying to help and could bite or scratch. It's nothing personal, your furry friend is most likely just scared and confused.
- 4) Bring Your Pet In For Care - Do not put yourself at risk! Safely bring your pet to our Walnut Creek veterinary clinic or one of the after-hours emergency vet locations above for triage and treatment.
Read through our most frequently asked questions below to learn more about bringing your pet in for an emergency appointment at Ygnacio Animal Hospital.
- Do I need to call ahead?
Ygnacio Animal Hospital provides emergency and urgent veterinary care for cats and dogs during our regular clinic hours. It's always best to contact us in advance if you can, but we understand that in emergency situations that's not always possible.
If we are unable to fit your pet into our schedule, we recommend that you visit the after-hours the emergency pet hospital location shown above which is closest to you.
- When is your clinic open?
Our veterinarians see emergency cases during our regular business hours:
- Monday: 08:00 am - 06:00 pm
- Tuesday: 08:00 am - 06:00 pm
- Wednesday: 08:00 am - 06:00 pm
- Thursday: 08:00 am - 06:00 pm
- Friday: 08:00 am - 06:00 pm
- Saturday: 08:00 am - 06:00 pm
- Sunday: Closed
- What situations require emergency veterinary care?
The following situations are examples of emergencies that require immediate care:
- Severe bleeding or bleeding that doesn't stop
- Obvious signs of pain or extreme anxiety
- Choking, difficulty breathing, or continuous coughing/gagging
- Fractured bones or severe lameness
- Seizures and/or staggering
- Bleeding from nose, mouth, rectum, or blood in the urine
- Inability to urinate or pass feces, or pain associated with urinating or passing feces
- Severe vomiting or diarrhea; 2+ episodes in 24-hours
- Injuries to the eye(s)
- Your pet has ingested something poisonous (such as antifreeze, xylitol, chocolate, rodent poison, etc.)
- Heat stress or heatstroke
- Refusal to drink for 24 hours or more
- How long will we have to wait to see the vet?
Our Walnut Creek animal hospital is just like a human doctor's office—it can be unpredictable and you may have to wait.
We cannot predict what cases we will see and when they will arrive. If possible, call ahead to find out whether we are able to provide emergency care for your dog or cat. We triage emergency cases and see them in accordance with need.
If we are unable to fit an emergency appointment into our vet's schedule we recommend that you visit a 24/7 animal emergency hospital like those listed above.
- What happens if my pet needs to stay in the hospital?
Some veterinary emergencies require intensive overnight care. At Ygnacio Animal Hospital we provide overnight care for animals in need.
While in our care, our dedicated team will treat your pet as if they were our own.
- What types of animals do you treat?
Our emergency veterinarians treat the dogs and cats of Walnut Creek and the surrounding areas.